Re-thinking D's modules

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jul 18 02:00:56 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 18 July 2012 at 08:08:21 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> There are several places for D module system to improve.
> One thing we discussed in the past is the versioning, and as
> far as I remember, we did not come to any constructive
> conclusion.
>
> Java has been criticised often for not having modules.
> Apparently Java 9 SE will have them, and in my humble opinion,
> Java 9 module system is going to be far more powerful (or
> perhaps better word would be USEFUL) than what D currently has.
>
> More about Java Jigsaw:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jigsaw/notes/jigsaw-big-picture-01
>
> Why is this better? - Speaking from a (senior) software
> engineer point of view, Java Jigsaw is engineered for large
> systems where versioning, module-dependency, and
> module-restrictions are very important.
>
> I do not like few things about Jigsaw, but most of the things
> they plan there simply make sense, especially the versioning
> and module-restrictions, which I urge D developers to take a
> look and come up with something similar for D2 or D3... This is
> extremely useful, and will be even more useful once we have
> shared libraries where we can have N different shared libraries
> that contain the same module, but different version of it...
>
> Kind regards

Jigsaw has just been dropped from Java 8.
http://mreinhold.org/blog/late-for-the-train

Still I would say this is so relevant that most current build
systems
have versions as first class concept.

For those that don't know .NET, due to the DLL Hell experience,
Microsoft
has built version support in the CLR from day 1.

--
Paulo