Re-thinking D's modules

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 02:58:53 PDT 2012

Am Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:24:36 +0100
schrieb Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>:

> Go solves the problem by refusing all notion of dynamic linking and
> insisting on static linking of all applications.

... not possible? While I learned a while back that system calls exist and are not dynamically linked, I wonder how Go goes about:

* basic system libraries (static linking to kernel32.dll?)
* executable bloat from large OO toolkits like Qt
* increased memory footprint by not allowing shared instances of DLLs/SOs
* modular development (e.g. separating "server" and "client" code in games)
* dynamically loadable plugins/extensions
* security and bug fixes to libraries used in dozens of programs
  (-> recompile of all library users ?)

--
Marco