Re-thinking D's modules

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:23:39 PDT 2012

> Something like:
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Orbit-Package-Manager-for-D

I am aware of the Orbit project, but what Jigsaw will do for
Java, and what similar built-in module versioning in other
languages do, is to give control of pieces of large software
systems. Having module version as part of the language will give
tools like Orbit a nice, standardized way to know what is the
module version of a D source file it is currently processing.
Later on, it may help compilers create SO/DLL version information
if a certain module becomes a library...
Say you have a product, and you want to provide support for all
legacy versions. One way to that is to put all old(er) versions
of a module into a single library. If the module is not
versioned, you would have to use external module information,
typically stored in bunch of config files, and what is worse is
quite often, if you lose these files, you have no idea what
module version it was... (Unless you are pedantic, and write that
information in the header comment of the module)

I use Maven a lot, every day, Jigsaw is not a replacement for
Maven, it is a help to Maven, coming from the language itself.