Octal Literals

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:29:36 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 21:53:50 UTC, Dave X. wrote:
> I'm a fresh college graduate who just got a job as a software
> developer, and I have been enthusiastically watching D for a
> while now (I program primarily in Java and C). I have some
> functional programming experience in Haskell and Scala as well.
>
> I like using octal numbers, and I've always been interested in
> D's octal literals. I'm glad to see that the traditional syntax
> of C's octal literals is being replaced by a more readable one.
> However, I can't help but think that the template solution
> ("octal!nnn") is a little too roundabout; is there a reason
> that that the "0o" prefix, which is already well established in
> languages like Haskell, OCaml, and Python, is not used?

Coming from C++, the only time I've EVER seen octals used is "by
accident" when developers try to 0-align his variables. Good
riddance to the "0" prefix. Seriously >:(

That said, I did not know of this "0o" prefix. It sounds like a
good idea, and I see no reason not to add it, other than it is
hard work for the compiler devs of course, who already have a lot
of work. :)