Just where has this language gone wrong?

Robik szadows at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 07:31:16 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 14:21:47 UTC, Petr Janda wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I'm an occasional lurker on the D forums just to see where the
> language is going,but I'm a little puzzled. In another thread I
> found this code
>
> auto r = [5, 3, 5, 6, 8].sort.uniq.map!(x => x.to!string);

Here's list what happens:

  1) Array gets sorted
  2) Duplicate elements gets removed (only unique stay)
  3) Then it get's maped by delegate. It converts numbers into
strings.
     `r` variable will be ["3", "5", "6", "8"]

> What type is x?
Type of x is inferred.

> What kind of operator is =>
Syntatic sugar for delegates.

> On another note, (copied from wikipedia)
>
> foreach(item; set) {
>   // do something to item
> }

Item type is inferred from `set`, it's just syntactic sugar. Of
course you can use `auto` but you don't have to.