Just where has this language gone wrong?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Jul 19 15:05:23 PDT 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:45:10 +0200
Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> Am 19.07.2012 22:43, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> > On 2012-07-19 16:50, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect that you have a C++ background. If this is not accurate,
> >> ignore the rest. But if it is accurate, my plea to you is: Learn
> >> other languages. C++ has next to no innovative language features
> >> (even C++11's take on lambdas is an abomination) and encourages
> >> defensive programming to the point where it's ridiculous (I mean,
> >> no default initialization of variables? In 2012?).
> >
> > In C++ it's even better (irony). It depends on what kind of
> > variable is declared. I.e. a global variable, a local, instance or
> > a class variable (static). Some of these are default initialized,
> > some are not. I have no idea which are initialized and which are
> > not.
> >

> That is why any C or C++ project should have static analysis tools
> integrated in the continuous integration build system, plus compiling
> all warnings as errors.

No, this is why any C/C++ project should be replaced by D ;)

I'm knee-deep in a C++ project right now, and the language is such a
pedantic, anachronistic turd. C++'s *only* saving graces are:

- It's a systems language (ie, native compiled with low-level access).
- It isn't PHP, JS, a JS-derivitive (ex, ActionScript), or Son-Of-Flash
  (aka Corona).
- D isn't mature on all platforms yet.