Just where has this language gone wrong?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Jul 20 00:33:59 PDT 2012

"Jacob Carlborg"  wrote in message news:juaudk$2slh$1 at digitalmars.com...

>On 2012-07-20 00:05, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> No, this is why any C/C++ project should be replaced by D ;)
>>
>> I'm knee-deep in a C++ project right now, and the language is such a
>> pedantic, anachronistic turd. C++'s *only* saving graces are:
>>
>> - It's a systems language (ie, native compiled with low-level access).
>> - It isn't PHP, JS, a JS-derivitive (ex, ActionScript), or Son-Of-Flash
>>    (aka Corona).
>> - D isn't mature on all platforms yet.
>
>I used Boost, for a C++ project I was working on, to make it more D-like.
>Foreach, auto, lambda, default initialization and other things. Most of
>these things are available in C++11 now.
>
>--
>/Jacob Carlborg

I like D as a better C++, but in face of the available tooling, libraries
and with
the support C++11 is getting lateley, I'm still using C++ for private
projects,
while at work I spend most of my time in JVM and .NET worlds.

It is a case of "worse is better".

D, Go, Rust have a  big problem to gain adoption in the native world
renaissance.

As another programing language to develop normal applications, there are
already
lots of more established languages. Even if a VM free language is the
prefered tool,
there are actually native code compilers for JVM/.NET languages, and even
Microsoft
seems to be planning to offer native code compiler for C#, from their job
postings.

To become a widspread systems programming language, D needs to get support
from an OS
or driver vendor.

--
Paulo