OSCON 2012 notes

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jul 21 01:20:37 PDT 2012

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 08:48:57 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> After becoming disapointed with Go leaving in the past, I've come to the
> conclusion that between the two, D is a much better choice.

I still need to study up on Go one of these days (along with a variety of
other languages which are on my to-learn list), but the more I learn about it,
the less I understand why Go and D are treated as competitors. I guess it's
because of the systems language moniker (though Go doesn't mean it in the same
was as C++ and D, so that skews things already), but Go and D are just so
radically different in their basic approaches and philosophies, that I would
expect that the folks who like one would dislike the other in most cases.
They're just so completely different that I wouldn't expect them to really
compete with one another save for the fact that developers only have so much
time to check out new languages, so if one's getting a lot more attention,
that could reduce how many people check out the other one, even if most people
who check out the first one don't end up liking it.

- Jonathan M Davis