OSCON 2012 notes

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jul 21 13:17:00 PDT 2012

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 01:14:57 -0400
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> I'm back from OSCON 2012, where my talk has enjoyed a somewhat
> unexpected good reception (OSCON is not the most down-D's-alley
> audience).
>
> The talk abstract is at
> http://www.oscon.com/oscon2012/public/schedule/detail/23888 and the
> slides are at
> http://www.slideshare.net/andreialexandrescu1/generic-programming-galore-using-d.
> There will be a video up some time in the future for the entire talk.

Great stuff! It's a perfect way of explaining why D kicks so much ass.

Side note though: Seriously, no download with registration?!? WTF

> A small framework or simply a couple of standard
> library components that would make e.g. Vladimir's work (on
> forum.lang.org) or Adam Ruppe's work easy to assemble from
> preexisting parts would be just awesome.

What do you mean by "make it easy to assemble Vladimir's and Adam's web
libraries from preexisting parts"?

A couple months ago I had a little bit of free time and used it to work
on a custom...uhh...*cough* "not-a-blog" system I've been putting
together for myself. I used the combination of:

- Vibe.d's CGI library and HTTP server

- simendsjo's fork of Steve Teale's native MySQL library:
  https://github.com/simendsjo/mysqln/tree/misc-cleanups  (Actually, I
  think this is included in Vibe.d now?)

- Adam's HTML DOM (And I cached partial and full results in memory, of
  course, so I wasn't DOMming it up on every request)

It was working out BEAUTIFULLY for me, at least until I ran out of
free time and had to leave it unfinished :(