Time for std.reflection

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:57:04 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 22 July 2012 at 03:47:16 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Runtime reflection _must_ be opt-in. We do _not_ want to make
> all types pay the
> cost of having it. That means that however it's done is going
> to require that
> every type that has it be marked in one way or another to
> enable that
> functionality. That's part of the cost of being a systems
> language. Whatever
> solution we come up with must take that into account.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

But the whole point is that not every type has it; only those
that are registered. It just happens that you can register types
besides yourself, which is an absolute necessity for many common
purposes of reflection. For serialization for example, the
serializer / deserializer should create reflection information
for all types contained in a class.