Just where has this language gone wrong?

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Mon Jul 23 13:51:19 PDT 2012

On Monday, 23 July 2012 at 15:56:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 23.07.2012 14:49, schrieb Stuart:
>> On Saturday, 21 July 2012 at 22:16:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> C++ is living in the 70's.
>>
>> Precisely what I have been thinking. It's a loose wrapper
>> around
>> assembly, nothing more. Certainly not the "high-level language"
>> it's touted as.
>
> Only due to the lack of modules.
>
> Everything else is a pretty modern language I would say.

Hardly. No RTTI. No GC. No properties. No events. No closures. No
extension methods. No interfaces. No writable references.

I can live without a GC; and interfaces can be simulated using
pure virtual base classes; but all the others are standard in
pretty much any modern language and impossible to reproduce in
C++.

Incidentally, it'd be really handy to have anonymous tuples in D.
Not many languages let you do that. For example:

    tuple!(int, float) fn() { ... }

    int a;
    float b;
    (a, b) = fn();

    auto (c, d) = fn();

Saves us having to create a struct for every goddamn little
function; or using tuples directly, which means we have to refer
to variables like .value1 and .value2 instead of something
meaningful.