Just where has this language gone wrong?

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 07:59:25 PDT 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:42:19 +0200, Stuart <stugol at gmx.com> wrote:

> You mean it's already supported? Nice!

That's what I mean. :p

> Although, It'd still be awesome to be able to do things like:
>
>     auto a,b = bar();
>
>     auto c,_ = bar();

That would be nice, and has been on the table numerous times.
Nothing has yet been implemented, and I don't think even a
syntax has been decided upon, so we might never see that.

The closest thing we have is probably this:

int a = 1;
int b = 3;
TypeTuple!(a,b) = tuple(b,a); // Look ma, I'm swapping!
assert(a == 3);
assert(b == 1);

...which inspired me to write this implementation of fibonacci:

T fib(T = int)(int n, T a = 0, T b = 1) {
     while ( n-- ) {
         TypeTuple!(a,b) = tuple(b, a +b);
     }
     return a;