Study: build times for D programs

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 24 17:13:47 PDT 2012

On 7/24/2012 7:58 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> "Roman D. Boiko"  wrote in message news:hpibxcqsmlpmgyngjzwp at forum.dlang.org...
>> On Tuesday, 24 July 2012 at 14:34:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> the D source is in D1 and should be adjusted to compile with D2),
>>
>> That would provide performance (compilation and run-time) for D1 only (with D2
>> compiler). Performance of a typical D2 app would likely be different.
>
> Still, is a good starting point.

The reality is, no matter what such benchmark is chosen, it will be attacked as
being biased. There is no such thing as a perfect apples-apples comparison
between languages, and there'll be no shortage of criticism of any shortcomings,
valid and invalid.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

Heck, I've even been accused of "sabotaging" the Digital Mars C++ compiler in
order to make D look good!