What is the compilation model of D?

David Piepgrass qwertie256 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:35:09 PDT 2012

> I find it shocking that anyone would consider 15 seconds slow
> to compile for a
> large program. Yes, D's builds are lightning fast in general,
> and 15 seconds
> is probably a longer build, but calling 15 seconds
> "slow-to-compile" just
> about blows my mind. 15 seconds for a large program is _fast_.
> If anyone
> complains about a large program taking 15 seconds to build,
> then they're just
> plain spoiled or naive. I've dealt with _Java_ apps which took
> in the realm of
> 10 minutes to compile, let alone C++ apps which take _hours_ to
> compile. 15
> seconds is a godsend.

I agree with Andrej, 15 seconds *is* slow for a edit-compile-run
cycle, although it might be understandable when editing code that
uses a lot of CTFE and static foreach and reinstantiates
templates with a crapton of different arguments.

I am neither spoiled nor naive to think it can be done in under
15 seconds. Fully rebuilding all my C# code takes less than 10
seconds (okay, not a big program, but several smaller programs).

Plus, it isn't just build times that concern me. In C# I'm used
to having an IDE that immediately understands what I have typed,
giving me error messages and keeping metadata about the program
up-to-date within 2 seconds. I can edit a class definition in
file A and get code completion for it in file B, 2 seconds later.
I don't expect the IDE can ever do that if the compiler can't do
a debug build in a similar timeframe.