Study: build times for D programs

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jul 25 10:50:26 PDT 2012

On 7/25/12 1:24 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Yes, and both debug and release build times are important.
>
> Optimized build time comparisons are less relevant - are you really
> willing to trade off faster optimization times for less optimization?
>
> I think it's more the time of the edit-compile-debug loop, which would
> be the unoptimized build times.

There are systems that only work in release mode (e.g. performance is
part of the acceptability criteria) and for which debugging means
watching logs.

So the problem is not faster optimization times for less optimization
(though that's possible, too), but instead build times for a given level
of optimization.

Andrei