phobos breakage... why?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jul 25 12:07:44 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 19:36:27 dnewbie wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2012 at 17:24:06 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> > I was just playing with the beta, and got this among the
> > sea of errors:
> >
> > arsd/cgi.d(898): Error: function std.algorithm.indexOf!("a ==
> > b",ubyte[],string).indexOf is deprecated
> >

> > Why was that taken out? If you ask me, the root cause of D's
> > perceived stability problem has little to do with bugs. It
> > is 95% phobos devs removing functionality at random. Why do we
> > keep doing this?
>
> One of my programs stopped working in 2.060. It is *really*
> annoying when I see the message 'X is deprecated'.

If it makes you feel any better, the number of things getting deprecated has
gone down considerably. Almost all of the changes related to deprecations in
2.060 are deprecated items being removed, not stuff being scheduled for
deprecation or stuff being deprecated.  Everything that was deprecated has been
scheduled for deprecation and marked as such for _at least_ 6 months. _Most_
of it is stuff that was scheduled for deprecation a long time ago (years ago in
some cases) but never actually deprecated (though it looks like some of that
is missing from the changelog; I'll need to add it). I made an effort to clean
up that stuff and got a good chunk of it taken care of for 2.060 (though
unfortunately, not all of it). And with that taken care of and the number of
items being scheduled for deprecation having been dropping off considerably, we
should be approaching the point where only rare items get deprecated if even
that.

So, yes deprecations are annoying, and we were doing quite a few for a while
as we cleaned a number of things up that needed cleaning up (a number of which
were clamored for by those in the newsgroup - e.g. making the names of Phobos,
functions consistent), but it's been tailing off and is approaching the point
where it will be rare.

- Jonathan M Davis