What is the compilation model of D?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Jul 25 14:44:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:18:37 +0200
"David Piepgrass" <qwertie256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant to ask, why would it recompile *all* of the source files
> if only one changed? Seems like it only should recompile the
> changed ones (but still compile them together as a unit.) Is it
> because of bugs (e.g. the template problem you mentioned)?

I'm not 100% certain, but, yes, I think it's a combination of that, and
the fact that nobody's actually gone and tried to make that change to
RDMD yet.

AIUI, The original motivating purpose for RDMD was to be able to execute
a D source file as if it were a script. So finding all relevant source
files, passing them to DMD, etc, was all just necessary steps towards
that end. Which turned out to also be useful in many cases for general
project building.