Study: build times for D programs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jul 25 15:47:57 PDT 2012

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 00:44:14 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 7/26/12, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Parallelism? How on earth do you manage that? dmd has no support for
> > running on multiple threads AFAIK.
> > You've got multiple
> > cores working on it at that point, so the equation is completely
> > different.
>
> That's exactly my point, you can take advantage of parallelism
> externally if you compile module-by-module simply by invoking multiple
> DMD processes. And who doesn't own a multicore machine these days?

Well, regardless, my and Andrei's point was that C++ has nothing on us here.
We can do incremental just fine. The fact that most people just build the whole
program from scratch every time is irrelevant. That just means that the build
times are fast enough for most people not to care about doing incremental
builds, not that they can't do them.

- Jonathan M Davis