Study: build times for D programs

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jul 26 02:28:18 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-25 23:56, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> D should actually compile _faster_ if you compile everything at once -
> certainly for smaller projects - since it then only has to lex and parse each
> module once. Incremental builds avoid having to fully compile each module
> every time, but there's still plenty of extra lexing and parsing which goes
> on.
>
> I don't know how much it shifts with large projects (maybe incremental builds
> actually end up being better then, because you have enough files which aren't
> related to one another that the amount of code which needs to be relexed a
> reparsed is minimal in comparison to the number of files), but you can do
> incremental building with dmd if you want to. It's just more typical to do it
> all at once, because for most projects, that's faster. So, I don't see how
> there's an complaint against D here.

Incremental builds don't have to mean "pass a single file to the
compiler". You can start by passing all the files at once to the
compiler and then later you just pass all the files that have changed,
at once. But I don't know how much difference it will be to recompiling
the whole project.

--
/Jacob Carlborg