JavaScript is Wonderous (Was: Can you do this in D?)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jul 26 16:06:47 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 05:59:08PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:17:39 +0200
> Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Now if someone would stop fiddling with the damn javascript which
> > keeps erroring out.. I'm beginning to join the Nick camp w.r.t. JS.
> > :p
>
> JavaScript is a technology (from the makers of clearly the greatest
> web browser of all time - Netscape) whose primary usage, and indeed
> killer feature, is to enable people to develop new and exciting ways
> to make the web slower, more broken, and more obnoxious than could
> ever be achieved with mere HTML/CSS alone. This, of course, is a major
> win for humanity in general, and is something we can all be proud of.
>
> http://semitwist.com/articles/article/view/my-awesome-web-development-game

I'm guilty of turning <i> into <em>, actually. You may shoot me now.

(Actually, I resisted many attempts at introducing bold and italics
buttons on my web-based editing page. I even introduced a way of
indicating which table cells are headers, so that styling will work
properly instead of half-assed manual bolding. But no, the users
clamored for bold and italics until they threatened to mob me (ok, that
last part may be an exaggeration), and so the horrible bold/italics
buttons appeared. So far, I've resisted adding a "red" button
(apparently, bold and italics aren't enough, sometimes you want
something in RED too). I managed to evade that one by having a select
box for the status field of the items, one option of which is styled
red, and insisting that's the only place red is allowed. We'll see how
long I hold out on that one.)

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.