D support in Exuberant Ctags 5.8 for Windows

José Armando García Sancio jsancio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:19:27 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Brian Schott <briancschott at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 July 2012 at 23:51:34 UTC, José Armando García Sancio wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM, dnewbie <run3 at myopera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is --ctags output in Dscanner
>>> https://github.com/Hackerpilot/Dscanner
>>

>> Very interesting. Is this Dscanner pluggable? I would be interesting
>> to use Dscanner for localization. For example it would be nice if it
>> could generate a list of all the strings that are passed to a specific
>> function.
>>
>> This is how people generate localizable string to use for gettext.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> -Jose
>

> Dscanner has a tokenizer for D code, so it would not be hard to make a
> program that uses the tokenizer to swap out string literals.

Swap out? Not sure what you mean by this. I don't want to localize the
code. I just want to enumerate them all so that a localization team
can provide a catalog that could be use to do the translation at
runtime.

In C/C++ a lot of teams do localization by providing a #define "_"
that simply returns the string passed into it. In D this would be a
template that could be compiled out.

The cool thing about having this "_" macro is that then you can have a
tool that can extract all occurrences of such a macro. Gettext has
such a tool for C/C++.

If we want to leverage gettext in D then we would have to build the
equivalent of that tool for D. I was wondering if Dscanner can be
extended to do this.

Thanks,
-Jose