Impressed

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:25:44 PDT 2012

Stuart wrote:
> Why does D have GOTO? I haven't used GOTO in over a decade,
> because it's truly evil.

There are some who use it, and I imagine it's in there for their
benefit. Thought I agree, I've rarely ever used goto.

> I have a couple of questions though. Why does the VisualD
> plugin crash Visual Studio if I double-click a .sln file in
> Windows Explorer? I mean, every single time? I'm using VS2010
> on Windows 7 64-bit; and the problem only happens with D
> projects, and only when loading an .sln file by association. If
> I load VS and use the menu to open the solution, it works fine.

I know many are attached at the hip to Visual Studios, but I
recommend MonoDevelop + Mono-D plugin for D programming. It's
very nice, with the exception of a few bug, it offers is
*similar* experience to Visual Studios C#/VB. Plus it's cross
platform, if/when you take your projects to other platforms it
helps a lot to use a consistent tool.

> One thing I really think D ought to have is iterators, like
> VB.NET and C# have. Trust me, they're really damn useful. Any
> chance of them being implemented? The implementation of .NET
> iterators is well-known and fairly straightforward; all we need
> is compiler support.

Ranges are a very good alternative. However there's also
D-Collections (http://www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections/)
which supports a "Cursor" type, similar to iterators (to my
knowledge).

The biggest issue with D's collections IMO, are std.container's
lack of useful structures. For instance there's no standard
Doubly-Linked-List type. However, I understand that Andrei is
currently working on a new allocation system, which should pave
the way to a new standard collection lib.