Impressed

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 26 19:05:46 PDT 2012

On Friday, July 27, 2012 03:58:52 Stuart wrote:
> On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 00:23:54 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> > Welcome! :)
> >
> > GOTO is evil; 'goto' is not! ;) goto makes switch-case
>
> > statements safer in D:
> Well, kinda. "Goto case" and such are one thing, but allowing the
> arbitrary use of goto for jumping around from label to label....
> I just don't understand why the language even supports this.
> Anyone using 'goto label' in their code is doing it wrong. Period.

You're going to find plenty of people who disagree with you when dealing with a
systems language. Particularly when dealing with low level code, gotos can be
very useful. Granted, if code is littered with them, there's no question that
there's a problem, but there are definitely cases where using goto actually
improves code - especially when efficiency is a major concern. They're just
relatively rare. Other, good, language constructs make them far less necessary
than they once were.

- Jonathan M Davis