Impressed

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Thu Jul 26 19:09:36 PDT 2012

On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 01:45:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Now, we have way more safe constructs for moving around in code
> then was the case when goto was originally vilified,
> and everyone is using those constructs rather than goto.
> But the stigma remains and everyone is used to thinking of goto
> as evil.

So if everyone uses these other constructs, why even provide a
goto? I seriously have not needed a goto in over ten years; and
the way I see it, if your program uses one, it needs to be
refactored. Just my opinion.

> It's a useful construct when used properly. It just shouldn't
> be used when
> there are better alternatives.

I can't think of ANY situation where goto would be the only
viable option. Loops, ifs, switches - these cover 100% of
requirements, surely? If it really is necessary in some cases,
how have I managed to avoid goto for so long? And what are these
cases?