Impressed

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Fri Jul 27 19:31:40 PDT 2012

On 27-07-2012 20:50, Stuart wrote:
> On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 15:27:58 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> On 27-07-2012 14:56, Stuart wrote:
>
>>> In any case, isn't it the job of the compiler to unroll loops? Why
>>> should the coder have to do this himself? Unless of course he's using a
>>> thin shitty wrapper over assembly language that claims falsely to be a
>>> high-level language - i.e. C.
>>
>> It was a high-level language at the time it was created.
>
> Quite possibly. But the definition of "high level" has since changed,
> and C no longer qualifies. Yet proponents of C/C++ continue to froth at
> the mouth and claim it's a decent language.
>
> Why is D so awesome? Because it's not C.

In all fairness, I think C still has its place. The advantage of writing
software in C is that when you want to port it to a new
platform/architecture, there will almost always be a C compiler
available. This isn't the case for D yet - but hopefully will be in the
future. But note, even then, that D only targets 32-bit architectures
and up, while C can handle 16-bit architectures.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org
http://lycus.org