enhancing forum features: 1click upvote, sorting, 1click duplicate etc (eg: userecho use case)

timotheecour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 22:31:49 PDT 2012

I just stumbled upon http://sublimetext.userecho.com/ which hosts
a forum (integrating ideas, discussions, questions, news, feature
requests etc) for a text/code editor (sublimetext, which seems
nice btw, and supports D :-) ). It is powered by userecho.

(disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated in any way with either userecho
or sublimetext).

I was wondering whether there would be any interest in migrating
towards something more feature rich than the current dlang forum,
possibly userecho, or at least enhancing a bit the features of
the current forum.

Here are some things that it provides, compared to the dlang
forum:

integrated bug report, feature request etc (dlang has 2 separate
websites for bugs (http://d.puremagic.com/issues) and other posts
(http://forum.dlang.org/)

1 click upvote/downvote for ideas/questions/feature requests
(dlang only has it for
http://d.puremagic.com/issues/enter_bug.cgi and it's not as easy
therefore sparsely used, and one has only 10 votes)
We actually want to encourage easy voting to pop up interesting
questions/bugs/requests, and vote down spammers or dumb
questions. Currently it's easy to get lost for popular posts.

1 click to report as spam or duplicate (especially the latter
would be very useful for bug requests)

ability to post videos which could be useful for tutorials etc
(eg :
http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/59029-code-folding-doesnt-work-if-code-isnt-indented/)

ability to sort posts by top rated/newest/most commented etc.

good searching, and statistics functions
etc.

Another nice feature would be to allow forum users to enter
editable/runnable code sections as in the http://dlang.org/ front
page. That would be very useful to report bugs or answer usage
questions. That would encourage users to post working code.