enhancing forum features: 1click upvote, sorting, 1click duplicate etc (eg: userecho use case)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Jul 27 23:23:00 PDT 2012

A few additional notes, beyond what Jonathan said:

> 1 click to report as spam

The few spams we get end up getting deleted quickly anyway. We wouldn't
really gain much from this.

> 1 click upvote/downvote for ideas/questions[...]
>
> 1 click to report as duplicate
>
> ability to sort posts by top rated/newest/most commented etc.
>
> and statistics functions

These are just "bells and whistles" frills. I really don't see much
need for them. And yea, voting on posts is the "in" thing these days,
but that doesn't mean we need it.

Of course, if Vadimir added this stuff to DFeed then fine, even great,
but they're far too trivial to be reasons to switch.

> good searching,

startpage.com
Query: site:forum.dlang.org foo

(Or use google directly if you like Big Brother watching)

> ability to post videos which could be useful for tutorials etc
> (eg :
> http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/59029-code-folding-doesnt-work-if-code-isnt-indented/)

There's already a way to post videos. It's called the Internet ;)

Off the top of my head:

- Attach file
- Torrent
- Post URL from:
   - HTTP/FTP server
   - Filesharing service
   - YouPoop or YouPoop competitor

> Another nice feature would be to allow forum users to enter
> editable/runnable code sections as in the http://dlang.org/ front
> page. That would be very useful to report bugs or answer usage
> questions. That would encourage users to post working code.

There's already a couple sites that do that for D. Like with the videos,
I don't see any point in it being integrated into a forum. That'd be
like duct-taping a screwdriver to a phone.