enhancing forum features: 1click upvote, sorting, 1click duplicate etc (eg: userecho use case)

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 00:44:36 PDT 2012

> Is it built on top of NNTP? If not, then it's a no-go right off the bat.
> forum.dlang.org isn't really a forum in the normal sense. It's merely a web
> interface for a newsgroup, and many of us access it either through newsreaders
> or as a mailing list and never use the web interface at all.

This is why I've never liked the 'forum' moniker being used here.
Regardless of what it means in the real world, the word means a very
specific thing in web parlance. And I'm sure that many newcomers aren't
going to realize that the web interface actually is a web interface to
an NNTP server. That inevitably is going to lead to comparisons with
existing web forum packages, which really aren't relevant. Of course,
it's possible to implement such features on top of what already exists,
but given that those sort of things can't propagate to the NG or the
mailing list interface, it's rather pointless.

I would have been happier to see a real forum in the first place (way
back when). For several years now, the D newsgroups have been the only
reason I keep a newsgroup client installed. But we really shouldn't be
calling the web interface a forum, because in internet terms it really
isn't.