Impressed

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Sat Jul 28 00:58:58 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 07:45:20 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:
> On 28-07-2012 09:36, Stuart wrote:
>> On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 21:59:33 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>>
>>> - Scheme
>>> - Haskell
>>> - OCaml
>>> - F#
>>> - Erlang
>>> - Clojure
>>> - Some C and C++ compilers (gcc, Intel, MSVC in release mode)
>>> - Most commercial Lisp compilers
>>
>> So, as I said, nothing you can write a real program in -
>> except possibly
>> for F#. The possibility of "some" C compilers supporting it
>> doesn't mean
>> you can rely on the feature being present.
>
> Are you serious........?

Uh, yeah? Aside from C (which doesn't always support tail call
optimisation), and F#, none of these languages would seem to have
any purpose on a desktop computer. I don't know of any way, in
this day and age, to write application software (e.g. Notepad)
for a 32 or 64-bit Windows 7 machine, in goddamn Haskell. I may
be mistaken.

As I understand it, languages like Scheme and Cojure exist solely
to keep mathematicians happy. If you can't call API functions in
it, what's the use of it?