Impressed

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Sat Jul 28 02:08:54 PDT 2012

On 28-07-2012 10:16, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:45:19 +0200
> Alex Rønne Petersen <alex at lycus.org> wrote:

>>> So, as I said, nothing you can write a real program in - except
>>> possibly for F#. The possibility of "some" C compilers supporting
>>> it doesn't mean you can rely on the feature being present.
>>
>> Are you serious........?
>>

> I would tend to agree with him, unless you're being overly literal.
>
> Obviously you *can* do real programs in C/C++, hell I've done it (and I
> am doing it, much to my dismay) - but it's notoriously painful. As for
> the rest, yea, sure, stuff *has* been written in them, but regardless,
> most of them still just aren't *realistically* suitable for most
> software development.
>
> It's just like how somebody once write a high-precision Pi calculator
> in MS Batch. They pulled it off, and it works, but that doesn't mean
> Batch is realistically suitable as a numeric processing language.
>
> Writing real software in, for example, Haskell is like calculating
> high-precision Pi in Batch. It can be done, but it takes a masochist.

Pointing out the most extreme cases is not really a good way to make a
point about language usability IMO.

Most of the languages mentioned are very usable for the areas they were
intended to be used in. Use them in an area they aren't meant for and
you're pretty much asking for whatever you end up with. Batch sure as
hell wasn't meant for calculation of *any* kind...

Of course C and C++ are painful. No argument there. But that's due to
them being designed decades ago. Erlang, OCaml, Clojure, etc are fairly
sane. Scheme, too, if you (don't (mind (the (parentheses))). :)

(I know, I know, that isn't valid Scheme...)

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org
http://lycus.org