Impressed

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jul 28 19:40:30 PDT 2012

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 16:33:02 +0200
"Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 08:26:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >
> > God I hope that's not true. Using a VM on a low-power system is
> > just so
> > rediculously *wrong* it should be a crime.
>
> Java != VM

Yea, people keep telling me that and I still keep forgetting :P
"Java==VM" has been ingrained pretty deeply into my brain for about 10
years. Hard to change that :)

Still, unless there's something different about these offerings, Java
(the langauge) has no low-level ability whatsoever, no manual
memory management and strongly encourages over-use of objects and heap
allocation. Even natively-compiled, that doesn't sound like my idea of a
good embedded language. But I dunno, I guess maybe if they're
using it in the sort of way that game devs use Lua...(Not that I'm a fan
of Lua - far too dynamic for my tastes.)