Native vs. VM in embedded [ was Re: Impressed ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jul 29 01:41:29 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 22:40 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[…]
> allocation. Even natively-compiled, that doesn't sound like my idea of a
> good embedded language. But I dunno, I guess maybe if they're
> using it in the sort of way that game devs use Lua...(Not that I'm a fan
> of Lua - far too dynamic for my tastes.)

The benefit of using Java in an embedded context is exactly to avoid
native code. The use of a language that has no access to physical memory
makes operating system level security management significantly easier.

For example on smart cards – which has to be one of the most constrained
multi-application platforms out there – the lengths processor
manufacturers have to go to support management of native code
applications is awful compared to those who support only Java Card. Yes
I know Java Card is not Java in any meaningful way, shape or form, but
it is an bytecode virtual machine based system.

The use of dynamic languages in systems such as games, post-production,
image manipulation has many similarities in terms of security
management, but is there for a wholly different purpose: the C and/or C
++ code does all the real computational work.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk