Impressed

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Jul 29 04:14:06 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 08:34:33 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 04:59 +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> […]
>>   It does do low-level bit manipulation for built-in types,
>> however I think that's it's limit.
>
> There are no unsigned types which leads to extremely ugly bit
> manipulation codes.
>
> Primitive types are now effectively deprecated in Java, and
> this is
> likely a deprecation which will actually lead to a removal –
> unlike
> everything else in Java that has been deprecated which is still
> there.
>
> Sun did one time actually remove something from a Java release
> but there
> was such an outcry that it got put back in. Sadly it should
> never have
> been taken out in the first place. Unlike all the stuff that
> has been
> deprecated for >10 years which should have gone long ago.

I like Java, but currently have a few issues with the some of the
design decisions after Java 5, namely the overuse of annotations
instead of adding new keywords. Examples are @Overload, @Checked,
@NotNull, @Null, or worse the possible @Value annotation.

I mean, use @Value to specify a class with value semantics,
really?! Is it that complicated to add struct as keyword?

Nowadays I find myself having more fun with C#, a language I used
to criticise as being a cheap Java clone back in 2001. How things
change.

--
Paulo