A successful Git branching model

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:53:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 22:36 +0200, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 20:24:42 UTC, mta`chrono wrote:
> > Have you seen this? What do you think of it? Maybe we'll use
> > this model
> > in our company in nearest future.
> >
> > http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> I use it every day at work and love it. I've shared it a couple
> of times on this NG but it doesn't seem to attract much attention.

I don't really see the advantage of separating develop and master.

And personally I am not a great fan of having feature branches in the
mainline repository.

There is a lot about the document and the ideas that are good, but I
don't follow the whole model. For me master is the development branch –
and if using continuous delivery can always be branched and released.
All major and minor releases have separate maintenance branches. with
bugfix releases being tags on that.  This seems enough, I am not sure of
the usefulness of anything more complex. But I may be missing something.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk