Impressed

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jul 30 13:22:22 PDT 2012

On Monday, 30 July 2012 at 19:31:51 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:04:21 +0100
> Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> My experience from various training courses I have given is
>> that in
>> the large corporate Web applications world, the average
>> programmer
>> knows Java, just enough Java, and isn't that interested in
>> anything
>> else. Gross oversimplification but a good indicator.
>
> Ugh, such "programmers" don't deserve a paycheck. It's like
> hiring
> someone who never learned arithmetic as an accountant. Makes no
> fucking sense at all - they just simply *can't* do their
> fucking trade,
> period. The "programmer" and the hiring manager should both be
> fired
> and pointed to nearest (possibly hiring) fast food joint.
>
> (Incarceration for "impersonating a programmer" would perhaps
> be more
> appropriate ;) )

Sadly this is how many well known consulting companies with a big
client portfolio of Fortune 500 companies work. I happen to work
in one of them, you would be amazed what managers and clients
look for as developers.

As a guy I know says, pay for a FIAT while expecting to get a
Ferrari in the end.

--
Paulo