Incomprehensible compiler errors

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Mon Jul 30 16:32:20 PDT 2012

On Monday, 30 July 2012 at 23:07:35 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Stuart:
>
>> I'm about ready to give up here. I like the idea of D, but
>> it's like using fucking Linux:
>
> I understand. The troubles you find are present in widely used
> languages. D is a young language and it's not widespread, so
> you are going to find even more problems.

The problem isn't that it's a young language; the problem is that
it follows the Linux ideology - which, in a nutshell, is "make
the user compile every damn thing, and make the user type
everything longhand in emacs".

It's not D itself I have a problem with. It's the complete lack
of reliable tools for it. No IDE. No GUI designer. No nothing.
Coding a real application in D is like using Cobra, or Nemerle -
in short, frustrating and slow.

>> All I want is to be able to write a GUI application using
>> phrases like "button1.dock = Fill". Is that so much to ask?
>> Apparently it is.
>
> Take a look at the Rebol language.

I took a quick look. It didn't look like anything suitable for
creating native GUI applications. It looked totally insane.