Incomprehensible compiler errors

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jul 30 20:28:39 PDT 2012

Walter Bright:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/50171A5B.7030002@digitalmars.com

If you have noted the OP has not said D sucks, the opposite:

>The language is fine:<

I agree that having a language perfectly finished is a good
thing, no one likes broken programs, but programmers can't expect
D to work as C89, with no changes since many years ago.

A problem is that most people don't understand mangled linker
errors. I agree with you that linkers are not magic, but modern
programmers coming from many other languages are not used to them
and their mangled errors. So we have suggested to filter those
messages, to help programmers.

The lack of reliable D tools is only partially caused by changes
in D, another important cause is the small size of the D
community.

Giving good ways to manage deprecations is a good way to help.
Giving the programmer ways to fix or solve the problems is
another way to help.

Recently I have suggested to change the signature of the third
std.algorithm.count from:
size_t count(alias pred = "true", Range)(Range r);

To:
size_t count(alias pred = "a", Range)(Range r);

But Andrei has refused this tiny change because it breaks old
code. Introducing ways to manage change & deprecation is going to
help the development of D more than freezing everything :-)

Bye,
bearophile