Incomprehensible compiler errors

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Jul 31 02:28:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 01:48:04 +0200
"Stuart" <stugol at gmx.com> wrote:

> Let me be clear: I have no problem with the language of D. It
> looks quite decent. It's just not feasible to actually write a
> PROGRAM in it. Sure, if I want a quick-and-dirty commandline tool
> or something, no problem; but a Windows application? Without an
> IDE or GUI designer? No way. Even MFC has a dialog designer.
>
> The language is fine: Now the developers need to turn their
> attention to the TOTAL AND UTTER LACK OF RELIABLE DEVELOPMENT
> TOOLS.

FWIW, I think this is the problem:

The people who have been using D so far are mostly those who are
perfectly happy, or prefer, command lines and lightweight code
editors. So they've never been particularly motivated to work on such
things since they don't need them and have plenty of more immediate
concerns.

Then the people who demand fullweight IDEs, GUI designers, zero command
line, etc., see that D doesn't have much in that regard, and they don't
improve the situation either, they just leave in disgust instead.

So neither side is doing it and we have a chicken and egg situation :/

Of course, that's not *entirely* true. Things like VisualD and Mono-D
*are* very actively maintained. They just don't have very many people
helping out (which of course is where the chicken and egg comes in).

As far as reliable dev tools, Programmer's Notepad 2 + DMD has been
*very* reliable for me. It's not "Trivial, a-baby-can-do-it, set
everything up with one-click", you have to understand the command line,
etc., but it's certainly been very reliable.