build Ldc2 for win xp 32 bit Error

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jul 31 10:00:49 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-31 13:21, Don Clugston wrote:

> I've heard this, but does anyone know what patent is being referred to?
> Several times I've heard mention of an old one by Borland, which
> Microsoft bought. The Borland patent is not a patent on SEH, it's
> basically a patent on using a thunk. I suspect it is extremely unlikely
> to be a valid patent, for sure there is prior art. And the only reason
> for implementing it with a thunk anyway, is as a workaround for the
> broken thread-local support in Windows prior to Vista.

I think it's this patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=21MgAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,628,016

Inventor: Peter Kukol
Original Assignee: Borland International, Inc.
Primary Examiner: Peter J. Corcoran, III
Current U.S. Classification: 717/140; 717/114
International Classification: G06F 945

> It's not difficult to implement SEH without violating that patent (which
> is due to expire soon anyway). Is there some other patent that people
> are referring to?

It doesn't matter. The Clang/LLVM developers won't accept an
implementation that has any chance of being covered by a patent.

--
/Jacob Carlborg