Incomprehensible compiler errors

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Tue Jul 31 10:30:11 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 09:33:57 UTC, David wrote:
>> It's not D itself I have a problem with. It's the complete
>> lack of reliable tools for it. No IDE. No GUI designer. No
>> nothing. Coding a real application in D is like using Cobra,
>> or Nemerle - in short, frustrating and slow.
>
> Mh, if this is *your* opinion, why are you using D then?

Of course it's *my* opinion. Whose else opinion would it be?

And that's just the point. I'm *not* using D. I *want* to be
using D, and I've been *trying* to use D, but I keep hitting
strange compiler errors and libraries that won't compile (i.e.
DFL).

I like D. It's been well-thought-out. But without tools, how can
it be used? Yeah, I know, many of you don't use IDEs - but tell
me this. How can I write a GUI? Whether you like GUIs is beside
the point: Applications need them. There's no point writing a
decent-sized program without one. And yet (without DFL) you have
no library support for them whatsoever. To create a window or a
button, I must use CreateWindow(). To handle events, I must use
GetMessageA(). To resize controls when the parent window changes
size, I have to do it all by hand, in code.

DFL and intellisense. Those are the areas this project is lacking.