Allocating Executable Memory

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 31 11:47:46 PDT 2012

Maxime Chevalier:

> How well does the D GC deal with immovable objects. Would it be
> a problem if I allocated many chunks of immovable data?

The GC supports flags to define memory as movable or immovable,
but I think at the moment it performs no memory movements.

> Also, if you don't mind me asking, which D compiler do you guys
> prefer? Which one is most widely supported, most up to date?

DMD has a back-end that produces less efficient binaries compared
to GDC and LDC. But DMD is more up to date (but not a lot), and
it's the most supported, it's the reference implementation. DMD
works well on Windows too, GDC works on Windows too. I think LDC
doesn't work well on Windows.

Bye,
bearophile