Incomprehensible compiler errors

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Jul 31 19:28:49 PDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:27 AM, Stuart wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:12:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 08/01/2012 02:44 AM, Stuart wrote:
>>> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant.
>>> And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>>>

>> - Why would it be interesting to talk about whether someone 'knows
>> something' or not? This is d.D.
>
> I didn't say it was interesting. I was called ignorant,

Some of your statements were called like that. Those certainly were
irrelevant to the topic.

> and it was implied that I was a programming newbie.

A D newcomer.

>>> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful community"
>>> I've heard so much about.
>>
>> Why? It is friendly and helpful. Even more so if it is treated as such.
>
> Some of it is, yes.  But the ones who aren't are spoiling it somewhat.

Joining the former group would be a good start to making the latter
group significantly smaller.

> And as I say, I assumed everyone on this forum was either a dev or a
> user. I wasn't expecting drive-by trolling.
>
> And yes, I may have been a little negative in this thread,

That is an understatement.

> but it's  because I really found D interesting and wanted to use it; and
> discovered that I couldn't.

Your best bet is to ask politely and to keep the question short and to
the point. Also, pushing the blame away is inflammatory and irrelevant,
so discussing whom is to blame can be omitted. Meta-discussions like
this one can be omitted just as well. They serve no purpose other than
avoiding meta-discussions in the future.