Increment / Decrement Operator Behavior

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jun 4 17:27:06 PDT 2012

Jonathan M Davis:

> If they don't bother to learn, then they're going to get
> bitten, and that's life.

A modern language must try to avoid common programmer mistakes,
where possible (like in this case).

> As for treating pre or post-increment operators specially in
> some manner, that
> doesn't make sense. The problem is far more general than that.
> If we're going
> to change anything, it would be to make it so that the language
> itself defines
> the order of evaluation of function arguments as being
> left-to-right.

Probably I have expressed myself badly there, sorry. I'd like to
see function calls fixed as Walter has stated.
And regarding pre/post de/increment operators, I find them handy,
but I have seen _so much_ C/C++ code that abuses them that maybe
I'd like them to return void, as in Go.

Bye,
bearophile