Windows 2000 support

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 5 08:47:46 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, June 05, 2012 19:34:38 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> > If it was not for the damned Windows, there would be a single
> > universal operating system interface for all operating systems.
>
> If POSIX standardization was ever successful. If all you need is covered
> by oldish Unix interface, if ... And there is ton of small details that
> try to stub you in the eye while porting from say Linux to OS X.

When writing std.datetime, I was shocked to find out that Mac OS X doesn't have
the librt functions in spite of the fact that they're POSIX. My guess is that
they're from some version of POSIX that Mac OS X doesn't support, but
regardless, the fact that something is POSIX doesn't seem to actually
guarantee much. It puts you in the general ballpark of your stuff working if
it's using POSIX stuff, but you have to make it sure (and potentially tweak)
everything that you do which relies on POSIX functionality for each OS to make
sure that it functions correctly. All you have to do is go through druntime
and see all of the differences between each of the POSIX systems to see how
much they vary, in spite of the fact that they're all supposedly following the
POSIX standard.

- Jonathan M Davis