Windows 2000 support

tim krimm twkrimm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:09:12 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 5 June 2012 at 14:43:47 UTC, mta`chrono wrote:
> Drop support since even Microsoft dropped support. Even if
> druntime will
> support Windows 2000, all my the programs I code will at least
> require
> Windows XP.

I agree with removing the windows 2000 requirement from the run
time library.

What about the DMD compiler itself?
Does DMD have a Windows XP+ requirement as well?
I would like to request that DMD itself not depend on XP.
But only if does not require a lot of work.

BTW - I am posting from a Windows 2000 machine.
Windows 2000 is handed for older machines.
It is also good for bare bone machines from tiger direct.
Yes I also use linux on these machines in dual boot mode.

I have several old legal licensed copies.
I can fairly easily install and uninstall windows 2000.
I do not have to deal with Microsoft's registration headaches.
Believe it or not I had a customer that required windows 98
support last year.

Embarcadero (formerly Borland) C++ Builder still supports these
older systems.