Windows 2000 support

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 5 21:38:11 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, June 06, 2012 05:31:51 tim krimm wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 June 2012 at 03:07:36 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
> What causes the "RTLCaptureContext could not be located" error
> for instance?

I don't know anything about that. My first guess would be that it's related to
druntime, but I don't know. As I understand it, dmd itself should work on
Win2K, but it would be very easy for there to be an issue with the libraries
which would prevent them from running, and it may be that there's a bug in dmd
which prevents it from working properly in Win2K.

> You are saying it is object code in the runtime library that is
> linked in and not the object code generated by DMD for my D code.
> So I can create a stub "run time" like in the XOMB OS and still
> run D programs.

druntime may or may not work. Parts of Phobos _won't_ work (at minimum
std.datetime and anything that relies on the portions of it that don't work).
Creating your own runtime would work as long as you create all of the pieces
that are needed (I wouldn't really advise trying though - it's not something
that sounds like it would be much fun).

> The other reason I still use 2000 is:
> I hate windows vista and windows 7 with a passion
> but I can no longer get XP.
> Unless I buy a refurbished PC with XP
> that is coming off of lease.
>
> I tolerate windows 7 only because I have too.
> Windows 8 is going to be even worse.
> I also hate paying the "Microsoft tax" and supporting the "evil
> empire".
>
> Hopefully I will be able to convince future customers that Linux
> is better.

I'm primarily a Linux user myself, but unfortunately, since we want D to be
properly cross-platform (and since a lot of people _do_ use and like Windows),
we need to support it. The question is how old a version that we'll support,
and the fewer older versions that we support, the easier that it is for us.

- Jonathan M Davis