Windows 2000 support

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jun 6 04:04:25 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-06 00:36, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> This is the hard reality of UNIX systems, that many aren't aware of
> because they only know one specific system.
>
> Long time ago, 1999-2003, I had my share of pain supporting server
> applications across Aix, HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, BSD besides Windows.
>
> The one that gave us more headaches was HP-UX, due to the archaic
> compiler available on the system and the 32-64 bit transition happening
> on those days.

That's one thing that Mac OS X got right, handling multiple
architectures. Universal binaries (executables and (dynamic) libraries)
that contain code for multiple architectures. Basically all system
libraries are compiled for both 32 and 64bit (and most for PowerPC as
well). It really doesn't matter if you compile your code in 32 or 64bit,
it just works.

--
/Jacob Carlborg