Are programs/OSes written in D more secure than programs written in C/C++?

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Wed Jun 6 16:10:54 PDT 2012

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 01:01:55 +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

> On 07-06-2012 00:04, J.Varghese wrote:
>> I'm not a programmer, so can someone explain this to me: Will programs
>> and operating systems written in D be safer (I speak of both memory
>> safety and security bugs) than existing operating systems written in C
>> and C++? If so, what features and attributes of D make this the case?
>> How much safer is it? Would it be possible to identify all the bugs in
>> an OS written in D (within a reasonable timeframe) or is that still a
>> pipedream?
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I have followed the development of D for a while.
>> I just want to know how much safer D is than other languages. Curiosity
>> and all that.
>
> No programming language (today) can make cryptosystems more or less
> mathematically secure. ...
>
> So what D does is that it prevents small but common exploits in
> programs. But that doesn't mean that your program is cryptographically
> sound/secure, for example.
>
> As always, It Depends (TM). :)

I'd add to this list a philosophy decision: D tries to make the correct
way the easiest way and path of least resistance. A highly disciplined
and skilled C coder could accomplish the effect, but practically
speaking, this can help eliminate a class of errors due to programmer
laziness or lack of understanding.

Justin