Rational numbers in D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 9 12:20:00 PDT 2012

On Saturday, June 09, 2012 18:55:14 Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> What do you think of the idea of a "priority wish list" of functionality for
> D and/or Phobos?  Do you think it would be a useful way to guide
> contributors to where they might be useful?  (I would view the priorities
> as being set by the core dev team but with some input from community.)

In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, I question how much it will affect
things. Pretty much all of the modules which have been presented for review to
Phobos are modules that a particular developer personally wanted to be in
Phobos and spent the time and energy required to get it there. I don't believe
that there's been a single case of anyone creating a module for review simply
because a lot of people wanted that particular module. The closest that we've
gotten to that is when there are a bunch of people who want a particular
module and one of the people who does steps up and does it (e.g. the semi-
recent std.log proposal essentially came about this way).

On the whole, the problem is more one of having people with the time,
expertise, and passion to write new modules for inclusion in Phobos and push
them through the review process and not a problem of those kind of people
looking to contribute to Phobos but not knowing what to work on. One thing
that definitely pops up is people who have spent the time to create a module
for their specific needs which could be adapted to the standard library given
time and effort, but they don't want to (or can't) put in that time or effort.

Certainly, I could see it being the case that someone has been working on
particular module not realizing that other people would want it, and a
"priority wish list" could help inform them that it may be worth their time to
try and get their module into Phobos. And it's obviously _possible_ that
someone will look at the list and decide to go implement one of the things on
the list. I just don't know how likely it is.

If you want to try and create such a list, I say go for it. It wouldn't hurt,
and it may very well help. I just wouldn't hold my hopes up that it will
really lead to developers going and implementing what's on the list simply
because they now know that a lot of people want it.

- Jonathan M Davis