Porting VisualD to Windows 8 and Visual Studio 11

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Sun Jun 10 10:10:39 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 10 June 2012 at 16:51:23 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> As you don't need the VS2012 SDK or the Windows 8 SDK to build
> Visual D, it does not seem urgent to do the translations, but
> it might be nice to have them as this is a fast way to update
> the interface headers to a new OS version. The recent version
> of the converter also translates "#ifdef _WIN64" to
> "version(Win64)" instead of throwing the code out, but I have
> not done a lot with it yet.
I wanted to experiment with VisualD a bit to check whether it is
possible to make use of my other project
(https://github.com/roman-d-boiko/dct, currently very early
draft) from VisualD.

Are these SDKs needed for developing VisualD on Windows 8 RC with
Visual Studio 11 RC? This setup is the one I use most often.

> So far I have the beta of VS 2012 installed, and from the files
> you added to the translation, it seems that the release
> candidate has a few more files. I'll update my VS11beta to
> VS2012rc and will have a look.
I didn't include all required files yet.

> At first glance, your way to translate the shared/um files
> seems fine, but I have yet to understand the text replacements.
These are dirty, I tried to move fast without polishing.

Basically, either a block of text from some file is commented out
when it generates compiler error, or some block (`open`) is
replaced with equivalent starting from `/+`, and the other
(`close`) with the one ending `+/`, so that everything between
them is commented out.

I think some blocks could be converted to the D equivalents, but
I don't have experience with this.

> Those _null_terminated_ annotations (and similar) should
> probably be translated to their Win7 SDK version identifier
> __nullterminated. That way they might get handled correctly by
> the regex expressions.
Would be nice to know the correct mapping for various
annotations. So far I tried to mimic code already present in
VisualD.

> Rainer
Thanks!